Tuesday 04 May 2021
|16:00 » 18:00||
Rule of Law Colloquium: Why Is the Rule of Law Relevant Today and What Can We Do to Protect it?
Introduction: Stephanie Boyce, President of the Law Society of England & Wales
|18:00 » 20:00||Gender Equality and the Rule of Law: Two Sides of the Same Coin
Organised by Barcelona Bar Association
Moderator: Eugenia Gay, President of the Barcelona Bar Association
- Dominique Attias, President of the European Bars Federation (FBE)
- Sheila Boston, President New York City Bar Association
- Margarethe Von Galen, President of the CCBE (Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe)
- Melissa Pang, President of the Law Society of Hong Kong
- Ewa Widlak, Consultant in Gender Equality
|20:00 » 22:00||Rule of Law and Democracy: Challenges of Fragile Systems in the Americas (Venezuela, Argentina, Mexico and Others)
Organised by Inter-American Bar Association and held in Spanish
Moderator: Lourdes Escaffi Venes, Secretary General, Inter-American Bar Association
- Allan Brewer-Carias, Professor Emeritus, Central University of Venezuela;
- Sergio Diaz Ricci, Principal Professor, National University of Tucuman;
- Mary McCord, Legal Director of the Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection, Georgetown University Law Center;
- Dolores “Lola” Aguinaco, Founding Partner, Aguinaco + Aja Abogados.
|22:00||Developing Strategies and Programs to Support the Rule of Law
Organised by the American Bar Association International Law Section
Moderator: Joseph L. Raia, Chair ABA International Law Section
Keynote speaker: Madeleine Albright, U.S. Former Secretary of State
- Trish Refo, President American Bar Association
- Alberto Mora, Director Rule of Law Initiative, American Bar Association
Wednesday 05 May 2021
|00:00 » 02:00||Attorney Discipline and the Independence of the Bar: Should Courts Play a Role?
Organised by State Bar of California
- Jerry Roth, UIA Immediate Past President; Partner, Munger, Tolles & Olson; Member, State Bar of California
- Leslie Caldwell, Partner, Latham & Watkins, former Chief of the Criminal Division of the Department of Justice
- Sean SeLegue, Chair, Board of Trustees, State Bar of California; Partner, Arnold & Porter
- Emilio Varanini, President, California Lawyers Association; Supervising Deputy AG, California Office of the Attorney General
- Stephane Bonifassi, Former First Secretary of the Paris Bar Conference; Partner, Bonifassi Avocats
|02:00 » 04:00||Black Lives Matter: an Australian Perspective
Organised by NSW Council for Civil Liberties
Moderator: Pauline Wright, President NSW Council for Civil Liberties, former President of Law Council of Australia and Law Society of NSW and solicitor at PJ Donnellan & Co, Central Coast NSW
Keynote speaker: Dr. Teela Reid, Wiradjuri and Wailwan Lawyer, first Aboriginal person to be elected on the UNSW Law Society as Vice-President (Social Justice), Founding director of the UNSW Law First Peoples Moot, Inaugural recipient of the NSW Indigenous Barristers Trust award.
- Cheryl Axelby, Chair of Change the Record. Cheryl is a proud Narungga Woman who is passionate about improving the quality of life for her people. Cheryl has spent the last 40 years working within the Aboriginal community, Federal Govt and South Australian Government to improve the lives of First Nations peoples;
- John McKenzie AM, NSW Legal Services Commissioner. was principal solicitor at the 1987-91 Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody, received his AM for significant service to the law, the legal profession, and to social justice for the indigenous community. For over 40 years John held senior positions in Legal Aid NSW, was chief legal officer for the Aboriginal Legal Service (ALS) from 2006-2014, and has been NSW Legal Services Commissioner since 2015.
- Pr. Thalia Roberts, expertise in the areas of criminal law and procedure and Indigenous people and the law, with a particular specialization in Indigenous criminalization and Indigenous community justice mechanisms;
- Barry ‘BJ’ Duncan, founding member and Board member Darkinjung Local Aboriginal Land Council. Barry is a proud Gomeroi/Gamilaraay man from North West NSW.
|04:00 » 06:00||Electoral Democracy and the Rule of Law
Organised by LAWASIA
Moderator: Yasushi Higashizawa, Co-Chair, Human Rights Section, LAWASIA; Professor, Meijigakuin University (Tokyo)
Keynote speaker: Mark West, Human rights activist
- Mr. Christopher Leong, Immediate Past President of LAWASIA;
- Mr. CM Chan, Vice President of The Law Society of Hong Kong;
- Jerry Roth, Immediate Past President, UIA; Partner, Munger, Tolles & Olson (San Francisco)
|06:00 » 08:00||Persecution of Lawyers by State Actors: The Role of the International Bar
Organised by National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers (Philippines)
Moderator: Czarina Musni, National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers, Philippines
Keynote speaker: Mr. Diego García Sayán, United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Independence of Judges and Lawyers.
- Jacqueline R. Scott, Director General of UIA-IROL (UIA Institute for the Rule of Law);
- Emin Abbasov, Independent Lawyers Network, Azerbaijan;
- Angelo Karlo Guillen, National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers, Philippines;
- Sinan Naipoğlu, LL.M., Member of the Board of the Istanbul Bar Association, Turkey;
- Stephen McNamara, Tharthi Myay Foundation, a Myanmar CSO;
- Avi Singh, Co-Director, Protection of Lawyers, UIA-IROL.
|08:00 » 10:00||Corporate Social Responsibility: Changing Perspectives to recognize Rule of Law and Human Rights as Essential Components of Good and Fair Business Environment
Organised by Society of Indian Law Firms, Bar Association of India
Moderator: Dr. Lalit Bhasin, President, SILF
Keynote speaker: Hon’ble Justice Madan Lokur, Supreme Court of India, Chief Guest
- Mr. V Lakshmikumaran, Managing Partner, Lakshmikumaran and Sridharan;
- Ms. Aarthi Sivanandh, Partner, J Sagar Associates;
- Mr. Deepak Acharya, General Counsel Wipro Limited;
- Ms. Gowree Gokhale, Leader – IP, Technology and Media, Nishith Desai Associates.
|10:00 » 12:00||Access to Justice for Refugees during COVID – past, present and future
Organised by Deutscher Anwaltverein
Keynote speaker: Dr. Annette Mutscher-Siebert, M.Jur. (Oxon)
- Dr. Petya Androva, Senior Analyst, EASO;
- Phil Worthington, Managing Director, European Lawyers in Lesvos;
- Dr. Maria Papaioannou, Information and Analysis Officer, EASO;
- Mr. Ulrich Weinbrenner, Head of Department for Migration, Refugees and Return Policy at the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community;
- Dr. Boštjan Zalar, Chairperson European Section, International Association of Migration and Refugee Judges.
|12:00 » 14:00||The Role of Lawyers in Protecting the Judiciary
Organised by Warsaw Bar
Moderator: Anna Wyrzykowska, Vice President of AIJA, partner at WKB Wierciński, Kwieciński, Baehr sp.j.
Keynote speaker: Dr. Przemyslaw Tacik, Assistant Professor, Jagiellonian University in Kraków
- Paweł Filipek, Office of the Commissioner for Human Rights of the Republic of Poland and Associate Professor (Adiunkt), Institute of Law, Krakow University of Economics
- Mikolaj Pietrzak, Dean of the Warsaw Bar;
- Martin Pradel, Deputy Director General of the UIA Institute for the Rule of Law, Chairman of the Commission on The Exercise of Rights, CNB (National French Council).
|14:00 » 16:00||Justice Amid Military Conflict: Does the Rule of Law Go Out the Window in Time of War?
Organised by Paris Bar and held in French
Moderator: Stéphane de Navacelle, AIJA HRC Co-Chair; Former Member of the Paris Bar Council
Keynote speaker: Olivier Cousi, President of the Paris Bar
- Marie O’Leary, Counsel, International Criminal Court
- Matthieu Bagard, Paris Bar Attorney, Avocats Sans Frontières France Secretary
- Ghislaine Doucet, Doctor of Law, specialized in international humanitarian law, terrorism and international criminal law, Senior Legal Advisor to the ICRC Delegation in France
- Amélie Ferey, Postdoctoral researcher (CERI), IRSEM resident